Pages

Monday 29 July 2019

WHAT RESEARCH ENCOURAGED ME TO CHANGE MY PRACTICE?

 Using Spaced repetition with ESL students
by Steven Williams
How my approach to teaching vocab has evolved
Since coming to Spain two years ago (for my first non-summer school teaching job) my thinking about how we teach and learn vocab has been heavily influenced by two main sources. The first was Catherine Morley’s great talk ‘Bags of fun with vocabulary’ at the TESOL Spain conference in Seville last year, after which I introduced (and became entirely evangelic about) vocabulary bags into several of my classes. These are basically a way to ensure vocab is constantly revised in class, rather than consigned to a vocab notebook and left to rust, and also a great way to cut down on preparation time for warmers!  
by Steven Williams
WHO HAVE I SPOKEN WITH TO GET OPINIONS ON VOCABULARY
I have also spoken to Dr. Rae Sialata, my former TESSOL lecturer and when I mentioned to her that I was considering using spaced repetition in my class, she was thrilled and sent me some more information. This being one of the important TESSOL principles, can be used in all teaching areas. She also referred me to Paul Nation who talks about spaced repetition in vocabulary acquisition.




No comments:

Post a Comment