Pages

Wednesday 10 July 2019

STUDENT VOICE SUMMARY


Image result for student voice





I  summarised the student voice so that I could take note of what's preventing them from enjoying writing.
I noted the following:

  • Easily distracted from writing task
  • Don't like fixing my mistakes
  • Difficulty finding suitable words to put ideas together
  • Struggle to put ideas on paper
  • Cannot think of good words to use
  • Need help with ideas
  • Don't like writing more than 5 lines
  • Like writing some time, but dislike it most times
  • Reading is easier because the words are on the page, but with writing we have to find words to put on paper.
What stood out for me was the difficulty finding suitable words to use in their writing. The fact that they compared writing with reading, where the words are given in reading whereas in writing the student needs to put their own word on paper, gave me a lot to think about. How I can help students build a bigger vocabulary of words to use when posed with a writing task?
I totally agree that those are the barriers that prevent students from enjoying writing, but hearing it from my students, gave me good reason to break down those barriers, making it easier for them to write. 
I thought if I addressed vocabulary, other barriers may automatically be cleared, so my mission was to focus on vocabulary building.

No comments:

Post a Comment