Pages

Wednesday 31 July 2019

MY CHANGED PRACTICE WITH VOCABULARY BUILDING

I looked at the data from my PAT vocabulary tests and seeing that my students didn't do well, I thought that I should look at the PAT reports and use the list of words from the test as a starting point.

I know that my focus is vocabulary, but now I am going to use spaced repetition to get my students successfully knowing what those words mean.

I created large flash cards with the words, and had sentences on another card. We would work each day with 5 words, making sure students could easily match word with meaning. I would then put them up on the classroom wall,(large enough for students to read) so that they has access to those words whenever they wanted to. Before introducing the new words, we would go over the previous day's words, and with smiles on faces, students would be thrilled to participate.

I worked through the Y5 vocab list first.





Once I was happy that my students showed confidence in the y5 list, I did the same with the Y6 list.
.

Furthermore, students had access to images and vocabulary prior to writing on topics as shown below.







No comments:

Post a Comment