Pages

Friday 17 July 2020

Kaupapa Maori Principles considered in implementing my change

KAUPAPA MāORI PRINCIPLES

Considering that my target student group comprises Maori and pacifica students,it would be important to get the blessing of my maori parents demonstrating Aroha ( love and respect) for their culture by following the Kaupapa Maori principles throughout the implementation of my changed pedagogy. This  would also stress the importance of kaupapa by working together with parents so that collectively we can raise student achievement.

The following principles have been selected from a list by Rangahau (1990) and I have deliberately decided to use a table to explain how these principles would guide my change. Furthermore, being a multimodal assignment topic, what better way than to use different modes of communication.


Kaupapa Maori Principles considered in implementing my change

Kaupapa 

principle

What it means

How I would use the kaupapa principles to guide my implementation.

Possible obsticles

Tino Rangatiratanga 

The Principle of Self-determination. Allowing Māori to control their own culture, aspirations and destiny.

  • Students take ownership of their learning


Ako Māori

The Principle of Culturally Preferred Pedagogy

acknowledges teaching and learning practices that are inherent and unique to Māori, as well as practices that may not be traditionally derived but are preferred by Māori.

  • With consultation will come possible acceptance of the pedagogy


Kaupapa

The Principle of Collective Philosophy.

Research seen as contributing to the overall vision

  • The formation of a partnership helps towards a collective vision and aspiration of maori.


Ata 

The Principle of building and growing Respectful Relationships

  • By consulting maori, we demonstrate through aroha we can create improved relationships. 


Whānau

The Principle of Extended Family Structure.

obligations of the researcher to nurture and care for these relationships .

  • By working alongside maori

  • Respecting and maintaining family values

  • Maintaining privacy of data


Table 1


1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Kaysee,

    Thank you so much for this blog post. I had hit a bit of a wall and coming acroos this post has inspired me. I am looking forward to seeing how this journey unfolds.

    ReplyDelete